Our beat writers unanimously pick Syracuse to defeat UAlbany, start 2-0

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

Our beat writers unanimously agree that Syracuse will defeat UAlbany on Friday.

Syracuse’s season opener didn’t go as planned when Vermont took a one-goal lead late in the third quarter. Still, the Orange rallied for three straight goals from their new offensive trio — Joey Spallina, Jackson Birtwistle and Owen Hiltz — to defeat the Catamounts 7-5.

The Orange stay at home for two more games, facing UAlbany on Saturday. The Great Danes were the only unranked team to defeat SU last season, winning 14-12 on April 7. They haven’t played a game yet in 2023.

Here’s what our beat writers expect when UAlbany (0-0, 0-0 America East) visits the JMA Wireless Dome:

Anish Vasudevan (1-0)
It doesn’t rain in the Dome
Syracuse 13, UAlbany 9

Last April’s loss to UAlbany was a rainy mess for the Orange. Head coach Gary Gait said the weather shouldn’t be an excuse for poor execution, but Syracuse played some of its sloppiest lacrosse of the year because of the spring showers. Luckily, barring any leakage from the Dome’s new roof, it won’t rain on Saturday.

The Great Danes are returning top scorers Graydon Hogg and Corey Yunker, who combined for 70 points last season, seven of which came against SU. But Syracuse’s defense played its most complete game since last year’s opener against Holy Cross, allowing Will Mark to make easy saves on weak shot attempts from Vermont. Mark will make his mark, no pun intended, early in the cage, meaning the offense has no excuses after last week’s seven-goal embarrassment.

Connor Smith (1-0)
Another squeaker
Syracuse 12, UAlbany 10

The Great Danes are one of the easier opponents on Syracuse’s schedule this season, and despite that 14-12 loss in Albany last April, I expect the Orange to improve to 2-0 on Friday night. SU’s defense was strong against Vermont last weekend, giving up few open looks and shutting out the Catamounts for two full quarters. Mark recorded 13 key saves in his first start in goal for Syracuse, a byproduct of SU’s defense only giving up contested or deep shot attempts.

The Orange’s offense has plenty of work to do (something Gait admitted after the Vermont win), and that starts with Spallina, who went 1-for-15 in his first career game and opted to dodge and fire instead of setting up his teammates from X. Hiltz was also kept in check in his first game in nearly two years, only scoring once, and SU will clearly need more production from its top two attacks moving forward.

As those two — and the rest of Syracuse’s attack — still warms up and finds its rhythm — I expect UAlbany to keep it close for four quarters on Friday, but some strong defense from the Orange and a few key plays from Spallina and Finn Thomson, to lift SU to another narrow victory.

Anthony Alandt (0-1)
Avenge!
Syracuse 15, UAlbany 9

Syracuse’s defense and Mark showed that it is going to be much better than last year. Holding Vermont to a measly five goals was an incredible feat, and Mark, in his first game with the Orange, was named Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Week. Quite a first impression, especially after the abysmal showing from SU goaltenders last year. Not only did this stellar defense show that it can significantly diminish opposing offense’s chances, it also proved that any team is going to have to battle to even gain position for good shots. Vermont used the ride well, and still couldn’t beat Syracuse’s seven goals.

UAlbany, despite upsetting the Orange last season, went on to a 5-10 season and lost two players — one attack and one midfielder — to the National Lacrosse League. The Great Danes are going to hang with the Orange like last season, but I, like Connor, expect Syracuse to put them away this year late. I also expect Spallina to connect on a few more shots — do I hear a hat trick?